I love to journal and I have been journaling since I was about 14. Over the past couple years my journaling has shifted into more of a morning routine, brain dumping a to-do list and a gratitude practice. And I have loved it, but as 2021 was coming to a close, I was ready to revisit my journaling routine, and change it up. On a whim, I ordered a 5 year journal, (this one) and started it on January 1st. Obviously, I have only been writing in it for 11 days, so I can’t speak to going through it multiple times yet, but I am really looking forward to that! But I have been thinking about how easy it is to jot down just a sentence or two, and different ways people could use this style of journal. So this is 5 different ways to use a 5 year journal, and honestly, all of these ways sound amazing!
1. A condensed journal of just a scentence or two describing your day or something significant that happened.
2. A gratitude journal (mine has room for 3 items, which is perfect for a daily gratitude practice.)
3. A companion to daily bible reading, jotting down a verse or quick thought that stuck out to you particularly
4. A prayer request and answer log. It would be pretty cool to be able to see what you were praying about, and how/when it was answered throughout the months and years.
5. Something you learned that day. This would be incredible to look back on. It could be anything, something you read, saw, watched, hacks you learn from friends, etc. The possibilities are endless.
You could even choose a different way to use the journal every year, and it would still be an amazing book to have and look back on!
I think it’s a easy idea for someone who is interested in starting an analog journal or some sort of record of their life, and I hope these ideas were inspiring or helpful!
I’d love to chat in the comments about your journaling habits, or what hinders you from starting one yourself!